Guidance Letter P-033
CLEVELAND STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE Cleveland, Tennessee
SUBJECT: Recruitment and Hiring Procedures for Administrators (EEO 1)
Recruitment and Hiring Philosophy
All personnel searches are the AA/EEO searches designed to secure the best pool of candidates and the best qualified future employee. Special consideration may be given to candidates who:
- Bring ethnic and gender diversity to the respective department and the College,
- Bring extensive knowledge of the department and the College to a given position, and
- Bring new and different experiences and perspectives to a department that, due to stability of current employees, may benefit from the infusion of new and different ideas and approaches.
Procedures for Approval of a New Position
Consideration for new positions must be made in ample time for inclusion in the appropriate budget cycle. The position request will be included in the budget request for the area and forwarded to the President. The request will then be forwarded to the Tennessee Board of Regents for approval.
Once a new position has been approved through all channels, the same hiring procedures will be followed as those for the filling of a previously existing position that has been vacated. (See Procedures for Hiring below.)
Procedures for Hiring for Approved Positions
- The President will notify the Human Resource Office of the desire to fill an administrative position. A Personnel Request Form and job description are initiated from the Human Resource Office.
- The Review Committee will consist of representatives from Faculty Senate and Staff Senate. In addition, all other executive administrators, and a representative of each of the four divisions will be asked to serve. All Review Committees should reflect the gender and ethnic diversity of East Tennessee. Additional staff members may be added to the committee when needed or desired.
- The Human Resource Office will forward the request form and job description to the President for approval to advertise the position.
- Internal searches are to be conducted only when the Human Resource Office can verify that a sufficient pool of qualified candidates exists among current employees.
- The approved Personnel Request Form and the job description will be forwarded to the Human Resource Office. The Human Resource Office will advertise all administrative positions in the following publications: The Chronicle of Higher Education, HigherEdJobs.com, diversejobs.com, The Chattanooga News-Free Press, The Cleveland Daily Banner, The Knoxville News Sentinel, and The Daily Post Athenian. The position announcement will be distributed to other diversity contacts and/or distribution lists.
- The Human Resource Office will screen the applications for minimum qualifications and forward the applicant pool summary and Review Committee to the Affirmative Action Committee to certify affirmative action compliance.
- After certification, the Human Resource Office will forward the appropriately screened list of applicants to the Review Committee. The Review Committee will scrutinize the applications of the qualified applicants and recommend a representative minimum number of applicants for interviewing.
- Positions identified in TBR Policy No. 5:01:00:00, General Personnel Policy, requiring approval of the Chancellor will follow TBR Guideline P-010, Personnel Transactions and Recommended Forms. TBR Form A-1 will be completed and all documentation forwarded to TBR and approval received prior to setting up interviews.
- The Review Committee, in cooperation with the Human Resource Office, will establish a schedule for the interviews.
- Reference checks will be conducted by the Chair of the Review Committee or his/her designee. The Chair will be appointed by the President.
- At the end of the interview process, the Review Committee will submit in writing its recommendations (with rationale, if appropriate) to the Human Resource Office. Only candidates that are acceptable to the Review Committee should be included. The Human Resource Office will forward the recommendation of the committee and applications of recommended candidates (with reference checks) to the President. If no candidates can be recommended at this stage, the position will be re-advertised with the approval of the President.
- The President may accept the recommendation(s) of the Committee or meet and confer with the committee regarding the recommendation(s) if he/she does not accept the recommendation(s) of the committee as presented.
- Salary level will be developed by the Human Resource Office with respect to the salary compensation plan.
- If the President approves the hiring of a candidate and the salary, he/she will sign the appropriate forms and return them to the Human Resource office.
- Positions identified in TBR Policy No. 5:01:00:00, General Personnel Policy, requiring approval of the Chancellor will follow TBR Guideline P-010, Personnel Transactions and Recommended Forms. TBR Form A-2 will be completed and all documentation forwarded to TBR and approval received prior to making an offer of employment.
- The President or the Director of Human Resources will make the employment offer to the successful candidate and notify the other candidates that the position has been filled.
Source: Recruitment and Hiring of Administrators Ad Hoc Committee, Revised and Approved, President’s Cabinet Meeting 10/9/2012.