Guidance Letter P-034
CLEVELAND STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE Cleveland, Tennessee
SUBJECT: Recruitment and Hiring Procedures for Staff (EEO 3-7)
Recruitment and Hiring Philosophy
All personnel searches are the AA/EEO searches designed to secure the best pool of candidates and the best qualified future employee. Special consideration may be given to candidates who:
- Bring ethnic and gender diversity to the respective department and the College,
- Bring extensive knowledge of the department and the College to a given position, and
- Bring new and different experiences and perspectives to a department that, due to stability of current employees, may benefit from the infusion of new and different ideas and approaches.
Procedures for Approval of New Position
Consideration for new positions must be made in ample time for inclusion in the appropriate budget cycle. The request for a new position is generated at the department level and forwarded to the executive administrator with justification including, but not limited to, needs assessment, cost projection, job description and appropriate additional specifications. If approved by the executive administrator, the position request will be included in the budget request for the area and forwarded to the President for approval. If approved by the President, the request will be forwarded to the Tennessee Board of Regents for approval. All position requests should be prioritized at the departmental and executive levels before being presented to the President.
Once a new position has been approved through all channels, the same hiring procedures will be followed as those for the filling of a previously existing position that has been vacated. (See Procedures for Hiring below.)
Procedures for Hiring for Approved Positions
- The request for hiring is initiated at the departmental level. A Personnel Request Form is obtained from the Human Resource Office. After completion at the departmental level, the form is forwarded to the executive administrator with the job description attached. If approved by the executive administrator, the Personnel Request From and job description are sent to the Human Resource Office for determination of the salary range and to the Finance and Administration Office for budget information.
- The direct supervisor will recommend the Review Committee to the executive administrator for the area. The Review Committee will consist of a minimum of four representatives to include: immediate supervisor as chair, at least one individual from outside the area, and at least one peer. All Review Committees should reflect the gender and ethnic diversity of East Tennessee. Additional staff members may be added to the committee when needed or desired.
- After certification of the Review Committee by the Affirmative Action Committee, the Human Resource Office then forwards the request form with recommended salary range, the job description, and the names of the Review Committee members to the President for approval to advertise the position.
- Internal searches are to be conducted only when the Human Resource Office can verify that a sufficient pool of qualified candidates exists among current employees.
- The approved Personnel Request Form, committee membership, and the job description will be forwarded to the Human Resource Office. The Human Resource Office will advertise all classified positions in the following publications: Chattanooga News-Free Press, Cleveland Daily Banner, Daily Post Athenian, and Knoxville News Sentinel. The position announcement will be mailed to the College’s Affirmative Action Mailing List. The Human Resource Office will advertise all professional/non-faculty positions in the above mentioned publications and may include some of the following: The Atlanta Journal, The Birmingham News, Black Issues in Higher Education, The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Commercial Appeal, and The Tennessean. In addition to the College’s Affirmative Action Mailing, professional/non-faculty position announcement will be mailed to the College’s Professional Mailing List.
- The Human Resource Office will screen the applications for minimum qualifications and forward the applicant pool to the Affirmative Action Committee to certify affirmative action compliance.
- After certification, the Human Resource Office will forward the appropriately screened list of applicants, along with a certification of the pool, to the Review committee in a timely fashion. The Review Committee will scrutinize the applications of the qualified applicants and recommend at least three (qualified) applicants for testing, if required, or interviewing.
Testing is required in order to be considered for any position that requires keyboarding and/or dictation. Selected applicants must meet the minimum requirements as to speed required for the particular position:
Skill Level Keyboarding Dictation 1 45 wpm None 2 45 wpm None 3 Clerk-Typist 50 wpm None 3 Secretary 1 50 wpm 60 wpm 4 55 wpm 70 wpm 5 60 wpm 80 wpm 6 60 wpm 80 wpm 7 60 wpm 80 wpm
- The Human Resource Office is responsible for administering keyboarding and dictation tests. Testing will be allowed one time, prior to the interview. The selected applicants will receive at least three working days notice and two available testing times.
- All applicants selected for testing will be advised that keyboarding and dictation tests scores will be accorded credibility for a maximum of one year from the date the tests are administered. Tests taken during regular credit classes at Cleveland State Community College will be accepted with written verification of scores from the Office Administration faculty.
- The Review Committee, in cooperation with the Human Resource Office, will establish a schedule for the interviews.
- Reference checks will be conducted by the Chair of the Review Committee or his/her designee.
- At the end of the interview process, the Review committee will submit in writing its recommendation (with rationale, if appropriate, in order of priority) to the Human Resource Office. Only candidates that are acceptable to the Review Committee should be included. The Human Resource Office will forward the pool certification, recommendation of the committee, and applications of recommended candidates (with reference checks) to the President. If the Review Committee cannot agree on a priority listing on the recommendation(s), the committee will forward to the Human Resource Office the unranked names of all of the acceptable candidates. If no candidates can be recommended at this stage, the position will be readvertised with the approval of the executive administrator.
- The President may accept the recommendation(s) of the committee or meet and confer with the committee regarding the recommendation(s), if he/she does not accept the recommendation(s) of the committee as presented.
- If the President approves the hiring of a candidate, he/she will sign the appropriate forms and return them to the Human Resource Office.
- Salary level will be developed by the Human Resource Office with respect to the salary compensation plan.
- The Director of Human Resources will make the employment offer to the successful candidate and notify the other candidates that the position has been filled
Source: Recruitment and Hiring of New Staff Ad Hoc Committee