Guidance Letter P-051
CLEVELAND STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE Cleveland, Tennessee
SUBJECT: Compensation Schedule and Guidelines for Instruction for Part-Time and Full-Time Faculty
Extra Compensation for Faculty Overload
Any full-time faculty member who exceeds thirty credit hours per academic year will be paid for an overload based upon the following conditions:
- That qualified adjunct faculty or qualified persons within the institution are not readily available to perform the work as part of their normal workload.
- That any faculty member whose teaching load does not meet thirty TLE during the academic year will be assigned other duties to make up the number of TLE less than 30 without overload compensation.
- That assignment of duties to make up for the TLE less than thirty and/or permission to teach an overload will be approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) in advance of the assignment.
- That any faculty member who has one or more low enrollment courses in a given term may be assigned more than thirty credit hours per academic year to compensate for the low enrollment course(s) without being paid for an overload, or classes will be combined to produce appropriate student enrollments. (Average enrollment is based on the THEC formula in the discipline.)
- Faculty overload is above, not part of, the normal 37.5 clock hour work week, including additional office hours equivalent to office hours dedicated for regular TLE. For example, an overload of a 3 credit hour class with 3 lecture (contact) hours and 1.5 office hours would bring the overload work week to 42 clock hours for the semester (37.5 regular hours plus 4.5 overload hours). As per TBR policy, a faculty member cannot teach more than two credit courses per semester as overload.
- Full time faculty teaching during the summer are expected to hold office hours equivalent to regular semester office hours, that is 1.5 office hours for each 3 credit hours taught. Each academic year, guidelines will be published regarding maximum summer loads and faculty eligibility.
Faculty will be paid according to rank for semester hours of teaching over 30 for the academic year. Overload payment is included in the spring term of each academic year. Full time faculty will be paid on the following scale:
When faculty members are to be reimbursed for teaching an overload, the necessary information should be submitted by the appropriate Dean to the VPAA on an Authorization for Compensation form at least one week prior to the beginning of the semester (see attachment).
Extra Compensation for Teaching Individual Classes for Full-Time Faculty
In order for a full-time faculty member to be reimbursed for teaching a class in the absence of another faculty member, approval must be granted at the beginning of the absence. However, reimbursement is available only if the classes taught are over and above the faculty member’s normal teaching load. For example, faculty who trade classes included in their normal workload are not eligible for additional compensation.
In addition, extra compensation for teaching individual classes is also available to faculty who participate in teaching clock hour customized and/or contracted classes for Cleveland State Community College in addition to their normal TLE of credit hour classes for Cleveland State. All requests for teaching above the normal course load must be approved by the appropriate Division Dean.
The rate of pay for one hour of classroom instruction is 1/15 of the semester hour rate. The rates per hour of classroom instruction are based on rank. They are:
Part-Time (Adjunct) Faculty Compensation
Adjunct faculty contracts must be signed at least one week prior to the beginning of the semester. Part-time faculty pay rates are based upon educational qualifications. The rates per credit hour for each educational level are as follows:
|Less than Bachelor’s degree||$450|
|Master’s plus 30 semester hours||$525|
Adjunct faculty members are expected to be on the premises and available to students 15 to 30 minutes before and 15 to 30 minutes after class time to ensure adequate access to faculty by students.
Adjunct Clinical Faculty (Nursing, EMT, etc.) are compensated on an hourly rate equivalent to the above rates (1/15th of the educational credit hour level). Hourly rates are:
|Less than Bachelor’s degree||$30.00|
|Master’s plus 30 semester hours (ABD)||$35.00|
Adjunct faculty members may be reimbursed for teaching a class in the absence of a full-time faculty member. Approval must be granted by the Division Dean and VPAA at the beginning of the absence. The rate of pay for one hour of classroom instruction is 1/15 of the semester hour rate. See above (Extra Compensation for Teaching Individual Classes) for the hourly rate.
When adjunct faculty members are to be reimbursed for teaching classes, the necessary information should be submitted by the appropriate Dean on an Authorization for Compensation form.
Source: TBR Guideline No. P-050; TBR Policy No. 5:02:04:00; Memorandum from Dean Barker on Faculty Pay Rates dated 2/12/91; Memorandum from Dean Barker on Overload Pay for Full-Time Faculty dated 4/6/92; Memorandum from Dean Basham on Salary Increase for Adjunct Faculty dated 8/30/93; Memorandum from Vice President Vann on Salary Increase for Adjunct Faculty and Overload Pay for Full Time Faculty dated 10/19/01; TBR Guideline No. P-055 approved by Presidents meeting 11/8/05; Memorandum from Vice President Faulkner on Adjunct Pay Rate dated 7/29/11; approved by President’s Cabinet 01/24/12; approved by President’s Cabinet 09/03/15.