Personal Development & Counseling
Feeling stressed out ? Having a tough time getting through tests? It’s time for a visit to the ACCESS Center.
Promoting personal growth, self-understanding and diversity awareness through programs and activities, the ACCESS Center helps you regain solid footing as you make your way through college.
Workshops and Activities
Staff members facilitate workshops designed to increase awareness of personal development and mental health issues. Common topics include Test Anxiety, Stress Management, Communication Skills, Goal Setting, Time Management, Learning Styles and Memory Skills. Check CougarNet for dates, locations and topics.
Additionally, activities to increase student and staff awareness of diversity and other cultures are organized on a regular basis. Upcoming events are posted on CougarNet.
ACCESS Center counselors provide guidance and support on a walk-in basis or by appointment. Our counselors are trained to recognize their boundaries of competence regarding personal counseling and frequently refer students to local providers who are better equipped to provide ongoing mental health services.
However, our counselors offer a range of services, including the following:
- Providing a confidential setting in which students can discuss personal issues hindering academic success;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with community mental health providers to refer students who need mental health services;
- Facilitating workshops to increase awareness of mental health and personal development issues;
- Providing educational resources for students, faculty and staff about mental health and personal development issues; and
- Serving as support in on-campus emergencies in which students experience emotional problems.