Becoming a Student

You’ve decided to take the next step in your education, and you’ve found a perfect fit at Cleveland State Community College. What now? Whether you’re just finishing high school or are looking to start a second or third career, four simple steps get you started on the road to becoming a Cleveland State student.

Step 1: Apply

Fill out the online application by clicking the Apply Now button:

Step 2: Submit Transcripts

Submit an official high school transcript or HSE, and any previously attended college or university transcript. (Official transcripts are those received from the issuing institution by mail or secure e-mail. If bringing in person, the transcript must be in a sealed envelope.)

Step 3: Proof of US Citizenship

Effective October 1, 2012 any applicant to a college or university that receives funding from the State of Tennessee and is classified as “In-State” for tuition purposes will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or proof of Permanent Resident status. This is in accordance with House Bill 1379/Senate Bill 1325.

If you are a U.S. Citizen, provide one (1) of the following:

  • A valid Tennessee driver’s license or photo identification license issued by the department of safety
  • An official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory
  • A U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate
  • A U.S. certificate of birth abroad or a report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S.
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • A certificate of citizenship or naturalization
  • A U.S. citizen identification card (I-179/I-197)

If you are a Permanent Resident, provide the following:

  • A valid alien registration documentation or other proof of current immigration registration recognized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that contains the individual’s legal name and current alien admission number or alien file number.
  • Other valid documentation of identity and immigration status as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security may require in order to verify the applicant’s status as a qualified alien through the SAVE program.

How should I submit these documents?

  • First-time freshman and certificate students will bring documents to their assigned success coach. Transfer, readmit, and non-degree students will bring documents to the Enrollment Services Center or scan and email to Faxed copies of required documents cannot be accepted, and will not complete the Admissions requirement.

*Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be recognized in accordance with U.S. Department of State policies.

NOTE: Don’t forget to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).